Thursday, July 21, 2011

FuNkY Sideboard


My husband didn't bring many material objects into our marriage other than an 11 foot Bermese Python, a sideboard he got free from a job he was working and well....that's about it.  The snake is gone and the sideboard stayed in the basement till recently when I decided it had potential. 

I had my husband add these legs.  It used to just sit on the ground.  He told me it looked like Allison Wonderland furniture but he had no idea how true that would until I was done with it.
I used Benjamin Moore in chartreuse 2024-10 but color matched it at Lowes.  The best part is that it only took me one sample size which was $2.94!

After the paint was dry, I traced the shape of that panel by taping paper over it and running a piece of chalk over the edge .  I then cut out fabric from IKEA to the size of the panel and did about 2 inches of Mod Podge around the edge.  I should have covered the hole surface because I had to cover it all later in the process.  I read on Modpodgerocksblog.com how this helps the fabric not to fray when cut.  I dry measured it up against the shelf and trimmed off extra material.  I brushed a coat directly onto the door panel layed the fabric right over the top and then added a top coat.  I let that dry over night and then the following day I added about 4-5 more coats letting it dry at least 20 minutes in between coats.  I also used Hard Coat Mod Podge over the fabric that is made for furniture.
 I roughed up the edges with 220 grit sandpaper.  The previous paint was gray around the edges as you can see if the "before" picture which added a lot of character when I sanded through.
 I had the shelf on its side while I painted the first coat but I did the following 4-5 topcoats upright and it worked just fine with no running.
 I got these knobs at Hobby Lobby for half off making them $2.50 each.  They are black glass knobs.



3 comments:

  1. Let me the first to let you know that not only does mod podge rock, but so does your cabinet makeover. Amazing! Love every single detail from the legs to the knobs and the color and fabric ... STUNNING!!! I hope you get tons and tons of comments on this one! Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. Britt...

    You truly amaze me! I LOVE the finished project....so darling. It was so good to see you today :) Love, Mand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Funky and So Fun! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...